11.1. Manage runs lifecycles
Only users with ROLE_ADMIN or OWNERS can manage runs lifecycles (pause/resume/stop/terminate).
Cloud Platform currently provides functionality to launch and access services on Cloud hosted calculation nodes. Launching a service takes up to several minutes depending on multiple factors. When work with service is done, instance is terminated and all the local data and environment (installed tools, settings) are completely lost. In order to store the data it should be uploaded to Cloud data storage before service termination, to save service environment user may user COMMIT option to update a service or create a new one, but for some use cases, e.g. script development in RStudio, these options may be inconvenient.
PAUSE and RESUME options allow to reduce time to start a service, have an option to store service state and to reduce expenses for idle services. Stopped instances cost less than running instances.
Note: pause/resume options are available only for on-demand instances. Price type can be set during Run configuration in the Advanced tab.
Note: you can't pause/resume cluster runs even with On-demand price type.
- Find a run you want to pause in the Active runs tab and press Pause.
- Confirm pausing.
- A Run will have status PAUSING for a short period of time.
Then RESUME option will appear.
- To resume the Run press the Resume button and confirm this action.
- A Run will have status RESUMING for a short period of time.
Then a Run will continue working again.
Note: Not always paused run could be resumed. E.g. user may hit a situation of resource limits - instance type was available when run was initially launched, but at the moment of resume operation provider has no sufficient capacity for this type. In such cases, run will be returned to the
Pausedstate. User will be notified about that - by the hint message near the RESUME button:
Or at the Run information page:
Or at the ACTIVE RUNS panel of the main Dashboard:
STOP option allows to stop a run execution forcibly. Once a run is stopped - all its local data will be deleted, this action couldn't be undone.
Note: This option is available only for initializing/executing runs, not for paused ones.
Note: This action only stops run and doesn't terminate cluster node.
- Find a run you want to stop in the Active runs tab and press STOP.
- Confirm action by click "STOP" button.
- After that, run execution will be stopped and run with "Stopped" state will appear at "COMPLETED RUNS" tab.
Note: also you can stop a run via CLI. For more details see here.
Some of the jobs, that were paused (either manually, or by the automated service), may be not needed anymore. In that case, user is more convenient to use TERMINATE option.
TERMINATE option allows to terminate compute node of a paused run without its resuming.
Note: This option is shown only for paused runs.
Note: This action terminates cluster node and marks run as "Stopped".
- Find a paused run you want to terminate in the Active runs tab and press TERMINATE.
- Confirm terminating.
- After that, cluster node of that run will be terminated and run with "Stopped" state will appear at "COMPLETED RUNS" tab.